Sunday 11 November 2012

Mommy-daughter time spent baking Red Velvet Cupcakes

On Thursday Aisha (2) and I baked red velvet cupcakes.

Although these cakes have been around for eons , they really seem to have been trending for the past few years. I baked a batch a couple of years ago and, to be quite honest, although Mo and I loved them, the kids were not really too impressed. They preferred vanilla cupcakes with ordinary frosting (preferably in every colour of the rainbow).

Even after these became popular, the kids would often by-pass these at functions and reach for ordinary cupcakes instead.

But on Thursday, Aisha's brief was clear. She wanted red or pink cake and I dared not ignore her wishes (well, not without facing a full-on meltdown).

This time around I used a recipe from
this website. From the reviews and comments it received, it seemed to be a sure winner.

And, I'm pleased to say, it did not disappoint.




Aisha, my little helper


Interesting-looking batter


 
Yes, I see it - Aisha doubled up on the cupcake holders




I used this frosting recipe, but you can also get a lovely one from here (I only saw this one after I'd already made the frosting)

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Ingredients:
250g cream cheese, room temperature
150g butter, room temperature
450g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:

Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.




 
 
 The result was impressive. Even the kids loved them! Nuha (7) however, did not like the slight tanginess of the frosting, so she scraped hers off and enjoyed the cupcake by itself. (But, let this not in any way reflect on the taste of the frosting - she even complains if she tastes butter in the frosting of her vanilla cupcakes, so I usually just make these with icing sugar and milk to cater for her fussiness. How dull! ).

Finicky Nuha preferred hers without the icing



These red velvet cupcakes were light, moist and delicious.

I definitely will make them again.


No comments: