Tuesday 18 September 2012

Tharaa, the train bearer

On Saturday Tharaa (10) was the train-bearer for the granddaughter of my parents'-in-laws' best friends.

The other girls in the bridal party were much younger than she is, so their parents accompanied them for the whole day's proceedings. I knew my daughter would be nervous about being alone, so I thought I'd remind her of her important duty, i.e. to guard, lift and protect the bridal train with her life.

And she did such a good job.

At 11:00 am Mo dropped her off at the hotel, which acted as the base for the bride's preparations. Nuha (7) and Aisha (2) hung about the hotel with their sister, while she waited for the bride to get dressed.





 






Hanging with Maama (Mo's mum)

 



Earnestly performing her duties
 
 

As expected, Aisha (2) cried for her sister as Mo drove away, leaving Tharaa to fulfil her important duties.

 





We then dropped the other kids off by my mother so that we could prepare for the wedding (after spending a few rare and blissful child-free hours alone).

The reception took place at the hotel too. I sat waiting nervously for my daughter to make her entrance - I couldn't have been more nervous if she, herself, had been the bride.

As the bridal party entered the reception room I, embarrassingly (and predictably), had to fight back tears. My baby looked so grown up *sniff*. She wore an earnest expression, as she ensured that the train did not touch the floor; handling it carefully - like a sensitive explosive device which would blow the entire venue to smithereens should it touch the ground. I was so proud of her.

 


Fussing around the bride like a mother hen

 
After prayers and emotional, but funny speeches, the supper buffet was opened. Oh my goodness, what a spread! We had experienced this hotel's buffet before and were always very impressed with the food and venue. But this time the staff had really outdone themselves (to be expected, I suppose, since they were hosting the wedding of the granddaughter of the hotel owner - their employer).

And then there were the desserts. I seriously wished I could tip the bowl of whatever mousse I was eating, into my handbag to take home. (Don't worry I didn't).

By the end of dinner Tharaa was lying against me, begging to be taken home. The poor thing was so exhausted.


Before the speeches






And...after




 

 

Maama, looking spiffy as always






 
 
 
At the end of the evening, when we arrived outside, Tharaa seemed to be energised by the crisp evening air.
She treated us to a performance during which she lit up like a fairy / alien.
 




I was so proud of my baby. I thought she'd be nervous and unsure of herself (like her mother is in most social situations), but according to all accounts, she was a very dutiful little assistant to the bride. By the end of the night I was overflowing with love and pride - until we got into the car and she started bitching that ''They '' (meaning her siblings) '' had more fun than I did, didn't they? Where did you take them?''

And within seconds she was transformed from a mature, elegant princess, into the whiny disgruntled child I'd missed all day. 
 

No comments: