Monday 3 September 2012

Increasing the nutritional value of our meals - attempt no. 572

So, once again, after gaining a kilo or two (or maybe 3), I have realised with alarm that I have, since the end of Ramadan, neglected to focus on how well-balanced, healthy or nutritious our meals are.
 
I've been serving McDonalds, KFC, fish and chips and even gatsbies (brought home by Mo) with only the slightest hint of a conscience. 
 
Over the weekend, though, I told myself that ''enough is enough'', after which I proceeded to scour the internet for recipes (incorporating ingredients I already had in the fridge).
 
As usual, instead of following any recipe to the letter, I adapted my favourite methods and ingredients from various cooking websites and cookbooks (to include ingredients I had at hand and limited available time).
 
So broccoli, cauliflour, peppers, tomatoes and carrots were saved from their usual fate (being tossed into the bin after lying and rotting in the fridge) and put to good use.
 
Veg tossed with olive oil in an oven roasting pan
 
 
Chicken marinated with garlic, herbs and light spices are added to the mix and topped with a few sprigs of rosemary
 

... and then popped into the oven to bake.

I then started to make spiced rice, ( into which I also managed to sneak some veg - albeit the mixed frozen kind).

Tossed and pan-fried with some olive oil
 
... added spice
...and rice, which had been standing in the fridge for a day or two and was threatening to go to waste

 
Mix thoroughly. Heat through until the flavours mingle



Then when chicken and veg dish is ready...




 
The result - fragrant, yet nutritious, yumminess.


Since the chicken and veg took a while to bake in the oven, the kids kept themselves busy while waiting for dinner to be served.




No comments: