Thursday 27 October 2011

Whether boobies or titties- its time to wean

I realised about two months ago that I would have to start weaning Aisha soon. Let me tell you- the very idea terrifies me. Offering her the boob has turned out to be the only thing that can stop a tantrum before it starts (sometimes, not always).

Initially the idea saddened me. We have developed such a strong and loving bond and I truly am afraid that weaning her will change that.

But I realise that the time has come to man up. In fact I realised this when she stopped referring to my breasts as 'boobies' and started calling them 'titties' (obviously thanks to one of her older siblings). To me the two words have completely different connotations. The way I see it, the reference to 'boobies' is cute and still carries a sense of innocence, whereas 'titties' are found in X-rated movies- (or so I've heard).

About two months ago we were at a prayer meeting we usually attend on Sunday evenings as a family. If I were to provide a profile of the average member of this group, I'd say 45-60 years old, predominantly male and very conservative. Close to the end of the meeting we reached the time for silent prayer in which we each did our silent personal supplications. So there I sat, eyes closed, focused in prayer, appealing for forgiveness, protection and the blessings of peace and light in the family, when a shrill voice echoed through the room, "Titty mommy! Mommy want titty peez! Titty, titty, titty! Nooowww!!" Though not known for my agility or speed, I managed to get her out of there faster than the speed of light. We spent the remaining time in the freezing cold, with me preferring to face the risk of pneumonia.

But I have since been delaying weaning her for obvious reasons, i.e. it is such a difficult process where the child is so dependent on the breast for comfort, and has no alternative source of comfort (like a bottle or pacifier). But I'll also miss breastfeeding because of the pivotal role I now play in her life. I am the only one who can provide her with that comfort and absolute pleasure. As far as boobs go, let's just say no one would mistake me for Pamela Anderson- very much the contrary in fact. So I must say that I have really been enjoying this new experience of having someone's eyes light up when they see my boobs. Never before have my breasts been appreciated this much- by anyone. I have now experienced the feeling which our well-endowed sisters often complain about- the feeling of having someone look at you and appreciate you only for your boobs. The only difference is, I don't mind in the least. Disgustingly, I have actually enjoyed being objectified.

But whatever the reasons I've been prolonging the experience (whether valid or warped), sadly the time has come for it to end. I'll have to figure out a way to make the experience as painless as possible- for both of us.

No comments: