Monday 11 December 2017

Fishing with the family

Like many children, Shakeel (18) has always loved dinosaurs. He became fascinated with them when I'd read dinosaur books to him before he'd even started creche. He'd wanted to become a paleontologist since before preschool and his ambition remained unchanged until about two years ago when, sadly, he decided that he should be more practical in his choice. I'd always loved the fact that he'd still held the same boyhood dreams as when he was 4 years old - it made me feel that my little boy was still in there underneath this newly-emerging manly exterior. My heart broke when he decided that there might not be as much scope for paleontologists as there would be if he studied marine biology or zoology (you know, animals that were not yet extinct). 

As a whole though, Shakeel still clings passionately to many of his boyhood interests. His love of the series River Monsters, led to an obsession with fishing. Sadly, he did not have anyone around who was capable of or knowledgeable about fishing, so that had to take a backseat. Until now. 

Recently, I too have been yearning for my childhood pastime. I don't know how much I actually know about fishing - back then we used handlines which we simply cast into the water after baiting our hooks. I don't know anything about rod fishing, where the best fishing spots are or what types of fish can be found in which waters. As a child, I just went where my uncle took us and did everything my more experienced cousin did.

So although I have done a bit of fishing, I don't know if I have enough knowledge or skill to take Shakeel fishing by myself. It would be easy enough to find fishing spots using the internet, but I don't know if there is more to fishing than what I remember.

Thus, imagine my excitement last week when my brothers (let's call them Ish and Shado) and cousin, (we'll call him Daly), announced that they would be taking their kids fishing in Kalk Bay. I promptly invited myself along, as that would serve as the perfect maiden fishing trip, since we would have the guidance of Daly and Ish, both of whom have quite a bit of experience.

Daly, Shakeel and his friend Caleb used rods. The rest of us (including my mother,  Shado, the kids and I) used hand lines. Poor Ish, who is the more experienced of my two brothers, spent the afternoon patiently attaching lines to rods, baiting hooks and disentangling lines for everyone. 






Snacking - apparently a very important part of my girls' fishing experience


Tharaa (16) contemplating life (maybe)


Shakeel and his childhood friend 

Windswept Aisha (8) with granny in the background

Mommy, Nuha (12) and I taking a break next to the lighthouse


My mother sat peacefully with her line cast, just pulling it up to rebait every 15 minutes or so. Shado, the jokester, teased her saying that she was just sitting there to feed the fish.

                                       
Mommy fishing with a hand line / feeding the fish

I didn't tell him that I was doing the same thing. I felt the fish tug at my line, but did not care to pull up - I was just enjoying the experience of having my line in the water while childhood memories washed pleasantly over me.

Only my nephew Jami managed to catch something, but it had to be released since it was so small. Irrespective, the day was pleasant and what's more, it completely reawakened my love of fishing and made me even more determined to nurture Shakeel's love of the 'sport'.

No comments: